While I’ve been working on a bunch of projects this summer, I’m making good progress on the hat and dress for M.’s baptism.
As you can see the first three layers of the hat are finished, and the fourth layer is started (but not pictured). I’m sure that it will be done in time (early August). While knitting the multiple layers feels a little like knitting overkill, the hat is so cute I tend to coo over it when I take it out to show someone. Sewing down the points of each layer will only make it cuter.
I have both skirts of the dress done. I’m starting the bodice on one side. The knitting of the bodice should go really fast as the number of stitches just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Sewing the sides together and crocheting the picot edging around the armholes and the neckline should go pretty fast.
I’ve also finished knitting the afghan for Vernita and Andrew. Now I just have to do the finishing so that it’s really done. If I do experiment to create a reversible seam, the finishing is going to take awhile as it will involve picking up ALOT of stitches and doing a lot of kitchner. I’m psuedo-committed to trying this out for the sake of learning a new technique, but I’m also sort of thinking that I’d rather just sew the seams and be done with the whole thing. There are 4 seams that need to be sewn. Maybe I’ll entertain myself and sew each one a different way, but that doesn’t seem like the best plan for something that is a gift for someone else.
My last picture isn’t really a project yet, it’s just a twinkle in my eye if you will. Earlier this week, I suddenly realized that I am doing alot of travelling between now and Stitches, so I started to put together the yarn and notions for the classes I’m going to take. I needed to pick out some yarn for the Harmonia’s rings cowl. Needless to say, I tossed the stash looking for something that I had enough of, in the right weight, and in a color I wanted a cowl in. I needed a little extra yardage, because I’m hoping to actually make the tunic version.
The swatch has one strand of the Sesia Baby in pure white and one strand of the coned silk yarn in off white. I think the fabric and the color is lovely. The mixture presents as off white, but not quite as yellowed as the yarn on the cone. The shine in the silk will give the cowl a little sparkle. I’m a little bamboozled at the moment because the gauge info on the cowl and the tunic are not the same. My swatch matches up with the info for the tunic and hopefully that really is the same as the cowl. I picked out a couple of alternate yarns also, but the white is definitely my favorite. I’ll take all the yarn to Stitches and see what the instructor recommends. Now I just need to find some beads, but I have to figure out where to look first.